[CentOS] Creating a USB bootable modified netinstall ISO image

Lars Hecking lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 3 23:38:52 UTC 2014

Alfred von Campe writes:
> On Dec 3, 2014, at 12:01, Greg Bailey wrote:
>
> > I think you'd need to use the "isohybrid" command that's included in the syslinux package.
>
> BING! BING! BING!  We have a winner!  Thanks for that info, it makes
> the USB stick bootable.  This will make kickstart installations so much
> easier, especially for systems that don???t have a CD-ROM (we used to
> have to scrounge for an external CD/DVD player every time).

 It would be interesting to see a comparison of fdisk -l for USB treated
 without and with isohybrid. I previously found that USB drives would not
 boot if the boot partition doesn't start on block 1; most tools, including
 fdisk and gparted, seem to put the start of the partition on much higher
 blocks when used on USB drives.