[CentOS] how to config printing on C7 installed from live image

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Dec 6 19:55:48 UTC 2014

Hi All!

I've just done a test installation (on an external USB HD) to see how
C7 works on my Acer Aspire netbook.

Apparently the live install (I used this one: CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-livecd.iso)
does not install CUPS. I've done "yum install cups" and got a ton of stuff
installed, but it won't let me set up a printer in the printing applet
in either Gnome or MATE (I prefer Mate). Adding a printer is greyed out,
and I get told there is no server running.

I thought I needed to start the printer service (cupsd???) but I can't
find the system-config-services (or whatever it's named, if not that)
app either.

Also haven't found a systemd config for cups, either.

I've tried adding /usr/sbin/cupsd to the system startup programs list,
but that doesn't seem to help either.

Obviously I'm overlooking something, and I'd appreciate a (helpful) slap
upside the head, i.e., a gentl hint of where I've gone wrong.

thanks a lot!

Fred