[CentOS] how to config printing on C7 installed from live image

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 20:23:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 01:02:02PM -0500, Negative wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Fred Smith <
> fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > wrote:

> can't
> that)

> > > thanks Frank! Actually I had figured that out shortly after posting,
> > > but was hung up on the subsequent problem for a while, and so didn't
> > > post.
> > >
> > > the subsequent problem is that Brother's drivers are 32-bit and
> > > if you're using 64-bit Linux you need to install the 32-bit glibc.
> > > Duh.
> > >
> > > Now it's working.
> > >

> > I have been hung up by the same glibc 32-bit/brother problem, but I don't
> > know how to resolve it. This is a new Centos 7 installation. On a Centos
> 6
> > system, I simply installed the 32-version and the printer worked.
> >
> > But I run into a dependency/version problem that would require ever
> deeper
> > downgrading of those libraries. When I try to install glibc.i686 , i get:
> >
> > Error: Package: glibc-2.17-55.el7.i686 (base)
> >            Requires: glibc-common = 2.17-55.el7
> >            Installed: glibc-common-2.17-55.el7_0.1.x86_64 (@updates)
> >                glibc-common = 2.17-55.el7_0.1
> >
> > Trying to downgrade glibc-common, fails on account of other glibc version
> > problems.
> >
> > It appears that all glibc libraries, including kernel headers, were
> > upgraded, except for glibc.i686 (which I hadn't installed when I set up
> the
> > system) has never been upgraded.
> >
> > If anyone knows what I can do, where I could find a newer 32-bit glibc,
> > please let me know. I can't find the matching rpm.
>
> I had no such problems, I just did "yum install glibc.i686" and voila!
> Are you sure that (1) your system is fully up to date, and (2) you haven't
> installed any funky apps/libs that would be interfering here?
>
> Fred
> --

I have got to thank you! If you could install glibc.i686.  I guessed I
could do it.

Thinking there must be a compatible glibc.i686, I searched for mirrors and
I found the needed version on a mirror, at arsc.edu. I don't know why yum
couldn't find a similar version of the packages -- both glibc and
nss-softkn-freebl 32-bit -- but after downloading the packages, I did a
local install, and from there a bit of fooling with system-config-printer,
and  I'm printing.