[CentOS] DegradedArray message

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:28:48 UTC 2014

On 12/08/2014 08:35 PM, David McGuffey wrote:
> I'll still get ready for another failure. Will read up on the best
> methods to have an encrypted filesystem on top of raid-1.

I'm pretty sure that if you tell the Fedora installer to build an
encrypted RAID1 system, you'll get exactly what I described previously.
In detail:

sda1 - 512MB
sda2 - remainder of disk

sdb1 - 512MB
sdb2 - remainder of disk

md0 - RAID1 including sda1 and sdb1
md1 - RAID1 including sda2 and sdb2

/boot - filesystem on md0

luks-$(uuid) - encrypted block device on md1

pv.01 - LVM2 physical volume on luks-$(uuid)

fedora_$(hostname) - LVM2 volume group including "pv.01"

swap - swap on logical volume
root - filesystem on logical volume
home - filesystem on logical volume

If you replace a disk, you'll need to partition it correctly and "mdadm
--add" it to the two RAID volumes.

If you manually set up some other layering, replacing a disk will
probably be more involved.