[CentOS] Moving back to CentOS + question about documentation

Niki Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Wed Dec 10 06:12:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm a 47-year-old Austrian living in South France, and the manager of a
small IT firm based on Linux and free software. A while back I have been
a CentOS user, I was proficient with versions 4.x and 5.x, and I even
published a book based on CentOS 5.x. After a stint on Debian, I based
all my server and desktop solutions on Slackware
(http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/), which was my very first Linux
distribution back in 2001, and for which I have kept a fondness.

Over the last few months, I was frustrated with Slackware, mainly due to
the absence of PAM and the near impossibility to configure centralized
authentication using LDAP. Currently I'm using central authentication
for a few setups in local schools, and the configurations are based on
NIS, which is far from ideal. So I remembered CentOS, which I hadn't
really touched since 5.x, downloaded a few ISOs of 6.6 and 7.0, setup a
few VMs, and after a couple of weeks of experimentation, I guess I'm at
the point where I'm hooked back to CentOS, even on the desktop. I have
my own local repository for RPM packages that are not included in EPEL,
or when I need to tweak them, and the last client that wanted me to
setup a workstation will have a highly customized desktop based on
CentOS 6.6 (I haven't yet figured out all the new quirks in 7.0, so I
decided to stay on the safe side).

I have some well written books about RHEL/CentOS 5.x, namely "RHEL 5
Unleashed" by Tammy Fox, "The Definitive Guide to CentOS" by Peter
Membrey, Tim Verhoeven and Ralph Angenendt and "Foundations of CentOS
Linux" by Ryan Baclit. Can you suggest any good books about RHEL/CentOS
6.x and/or 7.x? I like being able to sit in an armchair when I do some
RTFM. :o)

Cheers from South France,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat