[CentOS] need guidance on getting started...again

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 10:43:39 UTC 2014

From: Darr247 <darr247 at gmail.com>

> And logging in as root for everyday tasks is generally discouraged, as well.
> Most admins will edit their /etc/sudoers file to give themselves sudo
> access, so they could run
> [username at machinename ~]$ sudo yum install man-1.6f* man-pages-3.22-*
> (which will then prompt for the user's password, not the root password)
> instead of logging in as root.

I must be a bad admin because I rarely use sudo (only to limit

some access to some commands to some users).

That would make me prepand 99% of my daily commands with sudo.
After a while, that gets annoying...
IMHO, this rule is good for users/workstations, not admins/servers.

And even on my workstation I have a dedicated root window where I do root stuff.

JD