[CentOS] need guidance on getting started...again

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Dec 15 14:46:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, December 15, 2014 05:43, John Doe wrote:
> From: Darr247 <darr247 at gmail.com>
>
>> And logging in as root for everyday tasks is generally discouraged, as well.
>> Most admins will edit their /etc/sudoers file to give themselves sudo
>> access, so they could run
>> [username at machinename ~]$ sudo yum install man-1.6f* man-pages-3.22-*
>> (which will then prompt for the user's password, not the root password)
>> instead of logging in as root.
>

> I must be a bad admin because I rarely use sudo (only to limit
> some access to some commands to some users).
>
> That would make me prepand 99% of my daily commands with sudo.
> After a while, that gets annoying...
> IMHO, this rule is good for users/workstations, not admins/servers.
>
> And even on my workstation I have a dedicated root window where I do root
> stuff.

+1 from another 'bad-admin'

I log on at the console with a non-privileged account.  But then I immediately
go into the X-Windows desktop and open a logon terminal session.  There I su
-l to root and leave it open; tmux'ing over ssh from there to all the other
hosts as required.

I do have that 'root' terminal session profiled with a red background.  Just
to remind me of where I am.

Canada  L8E 3C3