[CentOS] Using a "compose key" on Centos6

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Dec 15 17:16:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 02:39:36PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I ran into a description of how to set up a compose key for F21 and
> decided to see if it would work on  C6.
>
> Well, the right configuration dialog exists, and I can choose a
> key to use, but after completion, the compose key doesn't seem to work.
>
> It works like a charm on Centos-7, though. If I select Right Win as
> the compose key, typing <compose>ae results in "�" as I expect.
>
> but doing the same thing on Centos-6 gives me an unadorned "ae", not
> the ligature, but the individual characters. i.e., it doesn't do
> anything helpful.
>
> Since the keyboard setup dialog includes the options to define a
> compose key I'm going to assume it's supposed to work, and th at I'm
> just overlooking something.
>
> Anybody got any good suggestions?
>
> thanks!

As an added bit of evidence: it works FINE on my Centos-5 box (which is
up to date) at my office.

Anybody got any clues how I can troubleshoot it on my centos-6 system
at home?

thanks!

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.