[CentOS] NVIDIA dropping support for older hardware (G8xxx, G9xxx and GT2xx chipsets)

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 12:56:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I just wanted to give a heads up to any NVIDIA users that NVIDIA are
dropping support for older hardware based on G8xxx, G9xxx and GT2xx
chipsets in their latest display drivers. The last version to support
these older chipsets will be the current Long Lived 340.xx branch.

If anyone is using NVIDIA driver packages from elrepo, legacy 340.xx
driver packages are now available for those affected. There is a thread
on the elrepo mailing list here:

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2014-September/002362.html
http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2014-December/002447.html

There is also an updated version of nvidia-detect (v343.36) available
which will tell users if they are affected and need to switch to the new
340.xx legacy driver packages or whether their hardware will continue to
be supported by future NVIDIA driver releases.

Obviously we would like to avoid a situation where folks 'yum update'
their drivers to a release that doesn't support their hardware and
breaks their system. Thus we would like to help users who will be
affected transition to the correct legacy driver now and so avoid future
issues.

If anyone needs any advice / help, please just ask.