[CentOS] sound oddity on C6

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Dec 28 02:04:33 UTC 2014

I just encountered an oddity... it may have been this way for millennia :)
but somehow I've never noticed it before...

say I'm using X (which is pretty normal these days) and I have VLC
playing a "radio" station.

I do CTRL-ALT-Fx to switch to a text console THAT HAS NO ONE LOGGED IN
on it, and voila:

no sound!

as soon as I log in, the audio returns.

what gives here?