[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 29 03:45:54 UTC 2014

On Sun, December 28, 2014 8:57 pm, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 12/28/14 20:52, Always Learning wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 10:30 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> ..............  The design changes are done in Fedora, by
>>> people who apparently never liked unix or consistency, not the people
>>> using Red Hat or CentOS that already have things working that they
>>> would like to keep working the same way across upgrades.
>>
>> What type of large commercial organisation lets undisciplined people
>> make adverse changes detrimental to the reputation and ultimate success
>> of its 'stable' commercial product. Since Enterprise Linux is supposed
>> NOT to be Windoze, consistency is very important especially for the
>> paying (R.H.) customers. It is also much appreciated by its devout fans
>> and the hardworking guardians of the Centos cloned version.
>>
>> * The dramatic upheaval in C7;
>> * The claimed life-span of C5 truncated by no more normal upgrades;
>> * The changes introduced in C6.6, during the lifetime of an allegedly
>> stable C6 product;
>>
>> all seem to suggest Upstream lacks a clear, reliable and dependable
>> strategic policy (or what some call a 'sense of direction').
>>
>> Happy New Year to all to everyone.
>>

> Well said!  I've been waiting since the C6.6 "upgrade" to get a kernel
> with the reported patch that fixes the web cam incompatibility that was
> introduced with the new C6.6 kernel.  I would change distributions in a
> minute if there was a better choice.

Between Linuxes there hardly will be better choice. It all boils down to
which way Linux kernel already goes, and that didn't happen just
yesterday. As far as other choices are concerned... (and I stop right here
knowing I already developed allergy in some of you here whom I respect ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago