[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:26:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> So, as far as "clever Apple" is concerned, I disagree with you. Unless we
> both agree they are clever enough to be able to fool their customers ;-)

You can't disagree with the fact that they make a lot of money.  They
do it by targeting consumers without technical experience or need for
backwards compatibility to preserve the value of that experience.
That's obviously a big market.   But whenever someone else tries to
copy that model it is a loss for all of the existing work and
experience that built on earlier versions and needs compatibility to
continue.  For what it's worth, I haven't found it to be that much
harder to find Mac ported versions of complex open source software
(e.g. vlc) than for RHEL/Centos - they all break things pretty badly
on major upgrades, and there is usually just one OSX version needed
versus a bazillion linux flavors with arbitrary differences).

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com