[CentOS] CentOS 7 - not using latest installed kernel

Wed Dec 3 17:10:27 UTC 2014
John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk>

Hello,

I have just installed CentOS 7 onto two servers and applied all the
current patches. There are currently two kernels installed:

# rpm -q kernel
kernel-3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64
kernel-3.10.0-123.9.3.el7.x86_64

However, if I reboot the servers they both start up on the older kernel:

# uname -r
3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64

I would have expected them to restart using kernel 3.10.0-123.9.3.
I know I can manually select the kernel to use at boot time (from the
grub2 menu), but, as with CentOS 6, I would have expected the servers to
reboot using the latest kernel automatically.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas as to why it might be happening?

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK