[CentOS] CentOS 7 install software Raid on large drives error

Wed Dec 3 17:38:05 UTC 2014
Jeff Boyce <jboyce at meridianenv.com>

Greetings -

I am trying to install CentOS 7 into a new Dell Precision 3610.  I have two
3 TB drives that I want to setup in software RAID1.  I followed the guide
here for my install as it looked fairly detailed and complete
(http://www.ictdude.com/howto/install-centos-7-software-raid-lvm/).  I only
changed the size of the partitions from what is described, but ended up with
the disk configuration error that won't allow the installation to complete.
The error is:

You have not created a bootloader stage 1 target device.
You have not created a bootable partition.

So I am clearly missing a step in setting up the drives; likely before
running the installer.  My disks are blank raw disks right now with nothing
on them.  Reading the RHEL Storage Admin Guide (Sec. 18.6, Raid Support in
the Installer) this should be supported, but I am assuming I may need to do
something different because the drives are greater than 2 TB.  I have a
SystemRescueCD that I can use GParted to do some setup in advance of the
installer, but am not sure of what exactly I need to do.

My objective is to RAID1 the two drives, use LVM on top of the RAID, install
CentOS7 as a KVM host system, with two KVM guests (Linux Mint and Windows
7).  Can anyone tell me the steps I am missing, or point me to a better
tutorial than what I have found in my extensive Google searches.  Thanks.

Please cc me directly on replies as I am only subscribed to the daily
digest.  Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com