[CentOS] Guidance: compile education

Thu Dec 4 22:16:28 UTC 2014
Stan Cruise <stancruise at me.com>

This question may not belong in the Centos.org list, but I do want to
compile against this distro. Please advise.

The question:

Can I be pointed at methods to learn to compile source against a distro.
I have software development background (but too long ago to be
specifically useful; however I have the concepts). Typically I can find
some fairly decent step-by-steps for some apps, but it never works out.
Which means I am missing the basics.

I have been working with Centos and Fedora through many VM and metal
installs, so that part is OK. I am getting tired of constantly trying to
find the app I want in the distro, or an applicable rpm. It's time to
compile.

Stan