[CentOS] CentOS 6.6 KVM Windows 7 Pro VM Device USB 04e8:6860

Tue Dec 9 02:26:07 UTC 2014
Paul R. Ganci <ganci at nurdog.com>

I have a CentOS 6.6 system running KVM with a Win 7 Pro VM. Over the
weekend I was playing around with the VM trying to get it to see my
Samsung Note 4. Apparently I removed the phone without removing the
hardware from the VM. Now the VM will not start because Device USB
0438:6860 is not there. I tried to remove the hardware from the VM using
virt-manager but that does not remove the error message and the VM will
still not start. I did manage to get the phone to be recognized as
Device USB 04e8:6860 at one point but then the VM would not start
because the Device was "already in use." I presently seem to have the VM
in a state where the phone is now Device USB 04e8:6865 but the VM will
not start because of the missing USB 04e8:6860. A Google search did not
seem to provide anything useful.

Is there anyway to get this VM to start ... for example can I tell it to
ignore the USB device? Can I somehow manually remove Device 04e8:6860? I
cannot believe I have to re-install just because of a missing USB device.

Thanks for any help.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)