[CentOS] Remote Git vs. GNOME on CentOS 6.6: cannot open display

Sat Dec 13 14:22:41 UTC 2014
Niki Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

I just installed a fresh CentOS 6.6 desktop. It's a client's machine, it
is physically installed on a testbench in my office. Usually, when I
perform installations, I start with the base system on the testbench,
and once networking is configured, I SSH into it and then do all the
fine-tuning remotely.

My configuration files, scripts and HOWTOs are all stored in a Github
repository. The problem I have with the default configuration of Git
under CentOS is that GNOME "hijacks" Git's authentication process.
Meaning whenever Git asks for credentials, this happens in a very ugly
authentication window. But the real problem is in a remote session,
where I can't use Git anymore. Here's what I get:

[root at optiplex-330 ~]# git clone
https://kikinovak@github.com/kikinovak/centos
Initialized empty Git repository in /root/centos/.git/

(gnome-ssh-askpass:2440): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Anyone knows how to stop this annoying behavior? I'm typing these lines
on a Slackware64 14.1 + KDE installation, and when I use Git on this
machine, credentials are always asked for in the terminal itself, not in
a GUI popup.

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat