[CentOS] One-time reboot into alternate kernel?

Mon Dec 15 11:01:14 UTC 2014
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

Apologies if this should be well-known, but I couldn't find anything!

Situation: a system in a remote location, with no KVM, IPMI or iLO, and
therefore no console access, only ssh. Multiple kernels listed in grub.conf.

Is there a way to reboot temporarily into one of the other kernels listed
in grub.conf, without changing the default= line, so that a subsequent
reboot will default back to the original kernel?

The problem I have is that having changed the default= line to select a
kernel that doesn't boot properly, I need to have someone visit the
console in order manually to select the working kernel again. I would
like to avoid that situation if possible.

Thanks,
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield