[CentOS] Chromium browser for C6

Thu Dec 18 12:38:42 UTC 2014
Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=distribution_form&pv=fp

>>> Or is it because the CentOS Project *won't* distribute it because Adobe
>>> doesn't release the source code?
>>
>> Well, Red Hat had to take it out of their build.  And in this case the
>> issue is a combination problem with Adobe and Google.  Google has
>> permission to build and distribute flash as pepperflash in Chrome.
>>
>> Red Hat asked and was told no for that combination in chromium.
>>
>> Adobe's actual flash player no longer works on chromium .. only
>> pepperflash, built by Google.
>>
>> And Google does not allow chromium builders to distribute that (well
>> they (Google) are only allowed to distribute it by Adobe).
>>
>> So, the thing I would need to get permission to distribute is the
>> pepperflash.so which is built by Google, which I can not distribute.
>>
>> So, this is much less a problem of no source code ... it is that I can't
>> build it, Adobe's no longer works, and no one but Google can distribute
>> pepperflash.so legally in the US.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny Hughes

Johnny,

Your build of the later chromiums works great on CO 6.6 (not withstanding
the no built in flash support). What would it take to get these into a more
timely release schedule? And into a more "standard" repository (e.g. EPEL)?
Or, do you have relatively cookbookish build instructions? (Or, has someone
already done this?)

Thanks again for what you've done.

Matt