[CentOS] Changing LANG from de_DE to en_US in CentOS 6

Sun Dec 21 10:04:30 UTC 2014
Alexander Farber <alexander.farber at gmail.com>

Hello,

on a Macbook with OSX Yosemite (which prints de_DE.UTF-8 as value of
$LANG in Terminal) and VmWare Fusion 7 I have installed CentOS 6.6
minimal.

When I ssh to my new VM as root, the $LANG is de_DE.UTF-8 too.

I would like it to be en_US.UTF-8 instead.

I have grepped /etc and /root for "de_DE", but nothing is found there.

Grepping for LANG in /etc gives many results, esp. /etc/sysconfig/i18n contains:

   LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
   SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

So where does the change to de_DE happen and what is the best spot in
CentOS 6 to set that to en_US.UTF-8

(I understand that I could set LANG in /root/.bash_profile but am
looking for a better place to do that).

Thank you
Alex