[CentOS] CentOs 7.0 and reboot failure

Tue Dec 2 18:34:22 UTC 2014
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On Mon, 2014-12-01 at 18:50 +0000, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 01/12/14 18:36, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> >> I have tried some additional changes that have not made a difference.
> >>
> >> I disabled selinux - that made no difference
> >> I stopped and disabled firewalld  - that made no difference.
> >>
> >> I can boot this machine after I turn it off and then back on, but when I
> >> try to do a shutdown now -r, the system hangs right after picking the OS
> >> that is desired "CentOS Linux..........".
> >>
> >> After the machine is turned off the boot process occurs normally after
> >> this choice and I get two penguins in the upper left hand corner, and
> >> the boot proceeds.  When I do a shutdown now -r, I do not get to the
> >> penguins and the machine hangs forever until I either unplug it or press
> >> the power button for 5 seconds.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated!!!
> >>
> >> Greg

> > Everyone,
> >
> > I did not get much of a response on the list so I filed a bug report.  I
> > wanted to document the bug report for anyone else that is having a
> > reboot problem.
> >
> > https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=7949
> >

> > Greg Ennis
> >

> Seems little point in filing a bug report when you have no idea what the
> issue is. Bugs are not a means of troubleshooting nor a support forum.
> However, you did get my attention so lets see if we can stimulate some
> further interest in troubleshooting this.
>
> So the system will perform a cold reboot, but not a warm reboot. Sounds
> like a hardware issue to me.
>
> Any clues in /var/log/messages ?
>
> Tried updating the BIOS?
>
> Any hardware firmwares being loaded?

Ned,

Thanks for your response!!!

Sorry, if posting a bug report was the wrong venue !!!

There are no messages in the message logs that I could identify as
problems, but the system fails before the OS is active.

I have not updated the BIOS, and do not know how to do this... but this
is my testing machine so I am more than open to doing this.  I am using
a Gateway SX2855-UB12P.  I will take a look at the Gateway site; if
there are tutorials you could point me to I would appreciate it.

The only hardware that has been added has been a usb ethernet connection
so that I have the motherboard nic card and the usb nic connection.  I
wanted to use this setup to test the firewalld capabilities for a
network gateway.  The machine does not have a monitor, and is without a
mouse or keyboard.

It should be noted that this machine previously had CentOS 6 with a 3T
Seagate drive that worked without a problem, but recently developed a
disc failure.  I replaced the drive with a 4T WesternDigital drive and
installed CentOs 7.0 from a DVD.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Greg