[CentOS] NetworkManager fights with DHCP-only backup NIC

Tue Dec 2 20:36:14 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:27 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at reaching-clients.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you put
>> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
>> in the ifcfg-eth0 script?
>
> How is that better than
>
>     systemctl stop NetworkManager
>     systemctl disable NetworkManager
>
> Again, I’m not really after a way to make this work without NetworkManager.  We’ve already got that.  What I want is a way to tell NM to obey the MAC binding.  This configuration *here* goes with that MAC chip *there*.
>
> Given that, we don’t need to disable NetworkManager.

What part of the breakage that NetworkManager does is good for a
wired, static-addressed server?    But, in your scenario where both
nics are plugged in and your only problem is the non-working gateway
IP you should be able to ssh to some other box on the working network,
then over to the new ones DHCP address.  The gateway won't matter if
both ends are on the same subnet.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com