[CentOS] NetworkManager fights with DHCP-only backup NIC

Tue Dec 2 22:11:02 UTC 2014
Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com>

On Dec 2, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What part of the breakage that NetworkManager does is good for a
>>> wired, static-addressed server?
>>
>> If you disable NM, the network configuration GUI stops working in EL7.
>
> But can't you still set NM_CONTROLLED=no on an interface?

That still effectively breaks the network settings GUI.  Interfaces you mark that way show as “unmanaged” in the GUI, and you can’t modify any of their settings.  You can’t change them back to “managed” via the GUI.  You can’t even add an IP alias to them via the GUI.

If you’re suggesting that I do this only to the static interface and leave the DHCP one under NM’s control, the only improvement relative to disabling NM entirely is that it at least gives the semi-technical people on site the option of repurposing the DHCP interface as a secondary static interface.

That’s not useless, but it’s a far cry from the MAC bonding I’m after.