[CentOS] httpd listening only on IPv6 interface on CentOS 7

Thu Dec 11 17:35:28 UTC 2014
Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com>

On Dec 11, 2014, at 3:10 AM, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:

> Am 11.12.2014 um 04:48 schrieb Warren Young:
>>
>> the stock configuration of Apache only listens for IPv6 connections:
>
> No, that's just the way it is displayed for apache. In fact the service listens on IPv4 as well (given we speak about the default configuration with `Listen 80').
>
> Easy to verify.

We noticed this problem when web browsers would refuse to connect to the server.  *Then* we discovered the netstat oddity, and *then* we found that changing the Listen line in httpd.conf fixed it.

That leaves me still wanting an explanation for what happened.

New guess: there’s a difference between the IPv4 and v6 firewalls, so that changing the Listen line caused Apache to avoid the problem on the v6 side.

I guess we’ll just keep an eye out when we build our next EL7 box...