[CentOS] Asymmetric encryption for very large tar file

Thu Dec 18 16:41:25 UTC 2014
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello,

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:51:31 +0100 Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

> I would rather work on single files or tars on directory basis. Using a
> single big file creates a very "large" single point of failure.
> Or use an encrypted file system (of course, also a single point of
> failure, but probably better handling).

The bad points with using an encrypted fs maybe in the OT case, is that
to move the encrypted file to somewhere else, you need to move the
hardware containing the fs :-(. Also, it doesn't allow changing the
encryption key very often. I think an encrypted fs addresses other
security/confidentiality issues, but then the OT should be more precise
about his needs/the context.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

--