[CentOS] X11 console

Fri Dec 19 00:39:16 UTC 2014
Bill Maltby (C4B) <centos4bill at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 08:20 -0500, David Both wrote:
> +1
>
> It can be quite annoying when the X console is changed from one Virtual Console
> to another as happens with almost every release of CentOS and Fedora. I would
> really like it to be always consistent at Console 7. And the "real" system
> console should always be Console 1.
+1

I've been doing Centos for a long time and the update from 6.5->6.6 cost
me much hours, crashes, lock up ... and final a complete re-install
because of that and some code/commentary in an /etc/init* file that says
X is a still expected on tty7 and changes could be put in a .override
file if you want to change things.

Silly me believed I could actually get X to start back on tty7 just like
"God" intended.

> I am OK with change, but this seems to be fairly random change with know
> apparent advantage or benefit.

I'm not, but my choices are apparently limed to switching distros, with
results from that unknown. The discussion about Gnome 3 got me thinking
about it first. Since I started working intimately with UNIX back in
'78, I'm wondering about the BSD stuff and the others guys have
mentioned. When I visited my sister a couple years back I noticed her
Apple stuff was based on BSD 4.0(?) IIRC - I *think* it was BSD. I
jumped right into command line mode a was happy a a pig in ... "mud".

However, being I've successfully transitioned into a TDU (Typical Dumb
User) since exiting the profession, I consider that sort of switch quite
carefully before doing anything.

> It is a big deal to keep it consistent. That way I know what to tell customers
> when they call and I have to talk them through a procedure over the phone.

I don't know if this would work in your situation, but what I've done is
make a "do nothing user" on my system. I log into the first X session
there and do the System->Log out->Switch user thingy, which gives me
tty7, tty8 and tty9 for the three logins I normally use.

> <snip>

Bill