[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Tue Dec 30 21:27:35 UTC 2014
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Mon, December 29, 2014 21:04, Warren Young wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> the world where you design, build, and deploy The System is disappearing
>>> fast.
>>
>> Sure, if you don't care if you lose data, you can skip those steps.
>
> How did you jump from incremental feature roll-outs to data loss?  There is no
> necessary connection there.

Having written the Cucumber Backgrounder guide I believe that I am well aware
of some of the current fashions in software development.  The idea of
incremental feature enhancement that you introduced is at once orthogonal to
my original point and yet forms an ironic counterpoint that highlights the
problem.  The issue of data integrity is a separate matter entirely.

I raised the issues of needless incompatibility and the avoidable costs of
retraining and re-implementation of existing, satisfactory, solutions.  You
reply with a comment extolling incremental featurism.  I am all in favour of
incrementalism in software development.  The problem being that RedHat does
not do that.  Instead RedHat freezes the product two years before release and
then sets about creating a new, equivalent, but significantly different,
replacement that you are forced to accept every seven years.

In fact, the freeze, release, support and deprecate schedule that RedHat
embraces as a corporate policy bears more than a passing similarity to the
'waterfall' process you, evidently prematurely, consigned to the grave. If
RedHat actually adopted incremental rollout of new features to their
distribution I would be most happy because, incremental rollouts are NOT
SUPPOSED TO BREAK ANYTHING ALREADY IN PRODUCTION. And that condition is most
certainly not met in every case of RHELx+1 I have dealt with.

Canada  L8E 3C3