[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Wed Dec 31 21:07:24 UTC 2014
Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com>

On Dec 31, 2014, at 11:00 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> How many single computers have to be up 24/7?
>
> A hundred or more, here, individual servers, 24x7.

I’m more interested in a percentage than absolute values.

And I’m only interested in boxes that simply cannot go down for a bit of maintenance every now and then.

As counterexamples, DNS, NTP, and SMTP servers are out, because these protocols were explicitly designed to cope with short temporary outages.

> Home directory servers,
> backup servers, compute nodes, some of which have jobs that run for days,
> or a week or two, and that's not counting the clusters that do the same...
> and mostly dump the data to home or project directories.

That’s all possible to work around.

Home servers: SAN design points the way.

Backup servers: Ditto if you mean home directory mirrors.  If you mean hot failover nodes in a cluster, I already pointed out that clusters let you upgrade via temporary partitioning.

Compute nodes: I didn’t ask how many boxes you have that share the same 9/5/180 usage pattern of our customers.  I asked how many you have that must run 24/7/365 or Bad Things happen.  When a job that’s been running for 2 weeks finishes, there’s your maintenance window.  Take it if you need it, let it go if you don’t.