[CentOS] I want to ask about some Kernel level operations.

Bowie Bailey

Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Feb 4 17:15:46 UTC 2014

On 1/1/2014 6:53 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I want to make sure that while compiling as root nothing will break down
> inside the machine.
>
> I want to compile software on a Xeon SERVER.
> The basic issue is that there is a recommendation to not compile it as a
> root user.
>
> I have compiled software as a root user more then once and I am not sure
> why would there is a need to run it as non-root user?
>
> I have taken a look at the /proc/ FS but I do not see anything that can
> harm anything yet.
>
>   From my aspect it's just background of electricity noise.
>
> I will be happy to hear from experience of others about it.

The basic issue is limiting your exposure in the case of a problem. As
long as everything works and is programmed properly, you can do whatever
you want as root.  But as soon as there is a problem, there can be huge
consequences.

The root user has access to everything on the server.  So a typo in a
program/makefile/command has the possibility of bringing down the whole
server.  On the other hand, if you are logged in as a normal user, then
the damage is limited to your directories.

Best practices say that you should do everything possible as a normal
user.  Root should only be used when you must have access to something
that the normal user doesn't.  Some distributions (like Ubuntu) even
enforce this by not allowing root logins and forcing the user to use
sudo for commands that require root access.

Bottom line is this:  It's your server, so use root if you want. Just be
aware of the dangers and don't try to blame anyone other than yourself
when a typo or misbehaving build script takes down the system.

--
Bowie