[CentOS] Experience with BTRFS?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 20:24:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:

> . It would seem that BTRFS is slightly more flexible than
> ZFS, EG the ability to add RAID-levels for improved redundancy after
> initial creation without taking the system(s) offline.

Indeed. Check this out
A tour of BTRFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWuaozpe2I

And this
Dec 2012: SUSE says BTRFS is ready to rock
https://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/systems-management/677226-suse-linux-says-btrfs-is-ready-to-rock

And this
BTRFS improvements in kernel 3.14
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU4ODA

If you´re adventurous, you can run OracleLinux with the Playground
repository to test the latest greatest kernel releases...
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/downloads/playground-1937163.html

No, I´m not running BTRFS but not because of lack of will, but due to lack
of enough hard drives to do RAID...

And no, this doesn´t specifically answer your questions, but might give you
some food for thought :)

When/if RHEL will include Kernel 3.14, I have no clue. I guess it will take
a lot of time... ;)

FC
act
- George Orwell