[CentOS] Upgrading Perl (modules) / RequestTracker

Michael Mol

mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 21:49:26 UTC 2014

I'm attempting to install RequestTracker on CentOS 6.5. Running "make
testdeps" as recommended by RT's installation guide, I'm presented with
lists of missing Perl modules.

One of these lines reads:

        Encode >= 2.39 ...MISSING

Now, "yum whatprovides '*/Encode.pm' " informs me that that module is
part of the core Perl distribution, and is installed on my system.
Opening the file itself reveals:

# $Id: Encode.pm,v 2.35 2009/07/13 00:49:38 dankogai Exp $

so I know that I have version 2.35 of that module installed, and
obviously that's < 2.39. So I need to get 2.39 installed.

What is the correct way to do this on CentOS? The last time I had to do
anything like this, it was on a Debian box, I went through the process
recommended by the guys in #perl, and was left with a broken system
that was a real joy to piece back together...