[CentOS] zoneminder

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 14:27:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> On 2/5/2014 11:45 AM, Joseph Spenner wrote:
>> >    Have you seen Zoneminder run?  It's a complete solution, with a web
>> interface and historical information for everything it saw.  It connects to
>> the cameras, grabs their images (presented as JPG files), stores a time
>> range of them, and determines if there was a 'change'.  If so, it goes back
>> a few images, and begins a 'movie' of the images leading up to the event,
>> and through the event itself.   When viewing these events, you have the
>> option to save them as AVI, MPG, MOV, WMV, SFW.  Those video files are them
>> available to download.
>> > The footprint isn't that big.   My installation (VM) is currently using
>> about 2G of space.
>>
>> the security camera I'm using for fun at home streams everything as TS
>> (mpeg4 transport stream) at a configurable 10-30fps. it only saves
>> segments with motion in them, including user configurable seconds
>> before/after any motion event.
>>
>> doing that with JPG's would be brutal.
>>

>The management software for the Ubiquiti AirCams save(s|d) to JPG files on
>the controller/management host.
>Last I tinkered with them (it's been months) that's the case.

I only have experience with my simple Foscam (generic) cameras.  They have fast streaming video, but the ZoneMinder hits the camera at an interval defined in its configuration.  You can set it to do many FPS, or just a few-- depending on what you think you need.  SO even if your camera does a hundred FPS, ZoneMinder has the ability to deal with it-- if you adjust the configurable ZoneMinder FPS accordingly.