[CentOS] Software RAID1 Failure Help

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 17:20:42 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 4:25 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk at lemo.dk> wrote:

>> Having a
>> single drive is slowing down reads as well, I think.
>
> This depends upon how the RAID is set up.
>
> A standard Linux RAID1 setup does not give better reading
> performance when reading large files than a single disk.

Maybe, if your system isn't doing anything but reading that one file...

> I don't know if the RAID system is cleaver enough to
> save some seek time.

I don't think it is  particularly smart, but it can alternate reads
between drives so the heads can be seeking to different places
simultaneously.  Of course intermingled writes will force the heads to
the same place on both, though.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com