[CentOS] OT hard disk geometry

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Mon Feb 10 19:05:38 UTC 2014

On 2/7/2014 16:40, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> my HP SuperMicro drive-bay.

SuperMicro is OEMing for HP now?

> In this the power connector(s) are in the same position
> as the empty slot above,

The 4 pins next to the SATA data connector on the Seagate drive are
nonstandard.  Their purpose is not documented in Seagate manual:
http://goo.gl/t2lncu

I doubt they are some kind of secondary power connector.  Far more
likely are a programming header, a debug port, an auxiliary feature
output (e.g. drive activity LED), a configuration jumper...

> (Unfortunately I cannot provide a photo at the moment,
> as both my Android phone and my camera are out of action.)

No need.  The Newegg page shows the connectors clearly:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148451

If this is a standard SATA enclosure, only the two keyed edge connectors
need to be used, as Kai says.