[CentOS] off NM problem [low priority]

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Feb 12 02:42:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:13:32AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2014-01-25, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> > On Centos 6.5, I use NM to bring up the VPN to my office, and to disconnect
> > from it.
> >
> > every now and then I screw up and disconnect the LAN itself instead of
> > the VPN.
> >
> > once I do that, even after reconnecting to the LAN I'm hosed.
> >
> > /etc/resolv.conf hasn't been put back to the non-VPN version, so I manually
> > fix that.
> >
> > but even then I can't get any name resolution.
> >
> > I'm sure that rebooting IS NOT the right answer, but it's the only one
> > I've come up with that solves the problem.
> >
> > What should I be doing instead, once the system is in this state?
> >
> > thanks!
> >

> Try doing (as root)
>
> 	service NetworkManager restart
>
> to restore NM to its intial state. Not an ideal solution (assuming it
> works), but better than a full reboot.

better late than never: Thanks Liam, but that doesn't work.

I know it's my fault for hitting the wrong disconnect item on the
NM menu, but it'd sure be nice to have a less drastic method of
recovery.

I'm open to further suggestions.

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding