[CentOS] Chromium 31.0.1650.63-2.el6 for CentOS 6

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Sat Feb 15 19:40:03 UTC 2014

All,

As has already been brought up, we have not yet been able to build the
new version of Chromium-32 for CentOS, and the current version
(31.0.1650.63-1.el6) needs updating.

We have also recently been informed that we may not redistribute the
PepperFlash Library from the Google site (libpepflashplayer.so) as we
did in 31.0.1650.63-1.el6.

Therefore, I have had to rebuild the currently released version to
remove the libpepflashplayer.so library.

What this means for all Chromium users is that after upgrade, you will
no longer have built in flash.  I apologize for the inconvenience, but
we have no real choice in the matter.

While the CentOS team can not redistribute that library, end users can
still get it ... here is how:

1.  Become root and create a temporary working directory to download the
package .. I recommend /tmp/working/

mkdir /tmp/working/
cd /tmp/working/

2.  Get the latest google chrome rpm from google for your arch (either
x86_64 or i386):

wget
https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

(or if needing the 32bit version, substitute i386 for x86_64 in the
above path)

3.  Extract the RPM using this command:

rpm2cpio google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm | cpio -idv

(again, substitute i386 for x86_64 if required)

4. Create the PepperFlash directory where the library will live:

mkdir  /opt/chromium-browser/PepperFlash/

5.  Copy the chome PepperFlash library and json file to the new directory:

cp opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/* /opt/chromium-browser/PepperFlash/

6.  Restart chromium and test that flash works.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes