[CentOS] Best way to virtualize Windows XP on Centos

Frank Cox

theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Wed Feb 19 20:20:58 UTC 2014

I may have a need to run some version of Windows (XP?) on my desktop.

As this will likely be a short-term thing, and since I have never used Windows, I would like to do this in the most painless way possible.  A method that requires me to make the least changes to my Centos computer would be nice, since I'll probably want to back it out again later.

I have never used any of the current virtualization technologies, so it's all new to me.

My objective is to have Window run in a window on my desktop.  I don't want to dual-boot my computer.

I was looking at virtualbox.  Is this the best approach?  I get the impression that there are special kernel modules that are required for virtualbox, but if I install dkms then that will be automatically handled for me whenever there is a kernel upgrade.  Install dkms, install the virtualbox repo, install virtualbox rpms, set up image, done.  Is that all there is to it?  Would something other than virtualbox be better?

Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!