[CentOS] Best way to virtualize Windows XP on Centos

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 22:25:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/2014 12:39 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Virtualbox will work, but if you want to stick to stock packages and
>> aren't concerned about running your images on other types of hosts,
>> try KVM first.
>
> KVM is great for virtualizing linux systems, but I found it pretty hard
> to work with for virtualizing anything else, so much so that I've
> reverted to vmware esxi  (which is NOT suitable for workstations, this
> is server virtualization).
>
> YMMV, of course.

When I got a server with too much RAM for the free version of ESXi, I
copied over a vmdk disk image from a windows guest and can't really
tell the difference with it running under KVM.   The only issue I have
is that when running the GUI console in a freenx/NX session the mouse
pointer is way out of sync.  But normally I connect directly to the
guests with vnc or rdesktop once the network is set up anyway, and I
don't know if the same problem happens at the physical console of the
host (which I almost never use).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com