[CentOS] FYI: CentOS legalese

Always Learning centos at u62.u22.net
Mon Feb 24 16:24:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 08:34 -0500, Brian Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 12:28 +0000, jb wrote:
> > Putting the Genie Back in the Bottle:
> > More RedHat Legal Shenanigans with CentOS
> > http://nerdvittles.com/?p=8721
> >
> > Closing the Book on CentOS: [...]
> > http://nerdvittles.com/
> >
> > Thanks to the author of the above articles.

> The author of those pieces needs to read a bit closer.  His claim:
>
>         In a nutshell, the new RedHat Terms of Service outlaw use of
>         CentOS in any product “unless the combined distribution is an
>         official CentOS distribution.”
>
> is not supported by any evidence he provides.  What is made clear is
> that one cannot use the CentOS marks (ie logos, etc.) in a derivative
> distribution.
>
> Seems to be much sound and fury...

Do you mean Red Hat's ownership of the Centos brand name prohibits
something like this example

http://nerdvittles.com/wp-images/piaf20642.gif     ?

(source: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=5844)

Why does Red Hat need to 'own' the Centos brand name and do the Centos
maintainers, who work hard on Centos for all our benefit, possess the
legal ownership - individually or collectively - of the Centos brand
that was, or is, being transferred or sold or donated by them to Red Hat
Inc. ?

If the Centos maintainers do not own the Centos brand name, which entity
does and which entity has the legal ability to give away to a third
party complete ownership of the brand name ?

Thank you.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Centos. No Micro$oft Windoze here.