[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS 6

Styma, Robert E (Robert) robert.styma at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed Feb 26 13:37:27 UTC 2014

> First, CentOS does exactly what RHEL does, so this is not really a
> CentOS question.
>
> The tradeoff is that Ubuntu doesn't go to the effort to ensure that
> for 7+ years you can do updates and not have anything that was
> previously working break because a change from the update.
> RHEL/CentOS may not be perfect at this, but breakage  is very, very
> rare because the updates are mostly backported security/bug fixes that
> don't change behavior.    Ubuntu does more frequent updates of the
> included package versions (even with their LTS version) and if a
> package changes behavior that is left as your problem.   By the time
> RHEL does it's next major release, you have a many-year jump in the
> underlying package versions with enough changes that even if you could
> do an automated update it would probably be a bad idea (there may be
> things as drastic as new filesytem choices, etc.).   A fresh install
> of CentOS isn't difficult and you should have a plan to backup/restore
> your own data anyway, so once you get used to the timing it works out
> pretty well to match up major releases with  replacing hardware and/or
> general cleaning up of your own applications and data.

First, thank you to Les and the others for the information.  You answered
my questions clearly and concisely.

My replacement of the machine at home went from Fedora Core 6 to CentOS 6.
Both 6's right :-).  The old box had the power supply smoke (literally) and
took out something on the main board so it would no longer see disks.  The
boot disk failed as well.

I kept Firefox and Thunderbird up to date manually with packages downloaded
from the Mozilla site.  Right at the end, I got to where they would not load
because of shared object incompatibilities.

Why would someone wait that long to upgrade?

The machine at home is very different
than the machines at work.  At work, new project, new machine, new OS install.
Get the latest version of RHEL and that is where that project stays.
At home there is a lot more customization.  I transferred my CD's to MP3 format
and now buy MP3's from Amazon.  As you know, I need a third party repo to get
MP3 decoders.  My machine now ties into my stereo and that is how I listen to
music.  Same sort of stuff goes for playing movies.  Lots of other customizations
as well.  Projects come and projects go.  I could not get xmms (with mp3) running on my
CentOS machine.  Eventually found "Audacious" which fills in nicely. And on and on.

The priorities yum plug-in does a real nice job of protecting my machine from being
mutilated by third party repositories.  Cudo's to those guys.

Bottom line, rebuilding a home machine is a lot more trouble than setting up a
new machine at work.

Thanks again for the insights into the upgrade process.

Bob S.