[CentOS] Centos 6.5 on USB stick performance / stalls

Rainer Traut

tr.ml at gmx.de
Thu Feb 27 12:17:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am running C6.5 64bit on an USB stick connected to a HP DL360G7;
It is usually an ESXi host but eg for firmware updates (not available on
SPP) I use this local installation.

Problem are the lags and unresponsiveness we are seeing for example when
running yum update in the installation phase. The whole system stalls
but there is no io in vmstat.

 From what google tells us, this is a known problem with linux.
But is there anything we can do to mitigate?

steps so far: mount / with ext4: defaults,data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime

Thx
Rainer