[CentOS] OT hardware question

Sat Feb 1 01:11:49 UTC 2014
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 1/31/2014 2:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> d) They*do*  need to be on the network, so we can back up the pictures and
> videos to a server. That means they*must*  be up to date on security.

the Aircams are network devices.  they use https and rtsp or whatever it
is.    the PC/server running the AirVision NVR software also uses https,
and collects the videos from any number of these cameras on your LAN.
if you want extra security, put the cameras on their own LAN connected
only to the airvision server, which could be dual homed to your WAN.
Instead of using a single port PoE power inserter for each camera (which
they come with), Ubiquiti sells LAN switches with their own flavor of
PoE built in.

The Airvision software can be configured (in fact defaults to)
autoupdating camera firmware when new releases are available on
Ubiquiti's website.   If you have 100s of cameras, then you probably
should be thinking of several AirVision servers, as there's probably
some performance limits where it can't be doing motion analysis on /too/
many cameras.

for your indoor application, the airCam Dome camera would likely be more
appropriate.  they come in 3-packs and are designed for ceiling mounting.