[CentOS] Upgrading Perl (modules) / RequestTracker

Tue Feb 4 21:49:26 UTC 2014
Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com>

I'm attempting to install RequestTracker on CentOS 6.5. Running "make
testdeps" as recommended by RT's installation guide, I'm presented with
lists of missing Perl modules.

One of these lines reads:

        Encode >= 2.39 ...MISSING

Now, "yum whatprovides '*/Encode.pm' " informs me that that module is
part of the core Perl distribution, and is installed on my system.
Opening the file itself reveals:

# $Id: Encode.pm,v 2.35 2009/07/13 00:49:38 dankogai Exp $

so I know that I have version 2.35 of that module installed, and
obviously that's < 2.39. So I need to get 2.39 installed.

What is the correct way to do this on CentOS? The last time I had to do
anything like this, it was on a Debian box, I went through the process
recommended by the guys in #perl, and was left with a broken system
that was a real joy to piece back together...