[CentOS] OT hard disk geometry

Fri Feb 7 00:57:13 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

My only excuse for asking this question here
is that I am running CentOS-6.5 on my HP MicroServer.

I recently purchased a 2TB WD hard drive (WD20ESRX),
and was surprised to find that the power-connector on this drive
did not seem to be in the correct place for the drive-bay.
(The drive bay closes, but the disk does not spin.)

The power connector on the drive is further from the SATA connectors
than on the other 4 drives I have in my two MicroServers -
it is about 2/3 of the way across the back of the drive,
on the opposite side to the SATA connectors.

I'm surprised because I always thought
that the positions of the connectors on SATA hard drives was standard.

How can I find whether or not a hard drive will connect properly in the
drive-bay?
Was I unlucky to choose a drive that did not fit?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net