[CentOS] suggestions for large filesystem server setup (n * 100 TB)

Fri Feb 28 13:15:35 UTC 2014
Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>

Hi,

over time the requirements and possibilities regarding filesystems
changed for our users.

currently I'm faced with the question:

What might be a good way to provide one big filesystem for a few users
which could also be enlarged; backuping the data is not the question.

Big in that context is up to couple of 100 TB may be.

O.K. I could install one hardware raid with e.g. N big drives format
with xfs. And export one big share. Done.

On the other hand, e.g. using 60 4 TB Disks in one storage would be a
lot of space, but a nightmare in rebuilding on a disk crash.

Now if the share fills up, my users "complain", that they usually get a
new share (what is a new raidbox).

From my POV I could e.g. use hardware raidboxes, and use LVM and
filesystem growth options to extend the final share, but what if one of
the boxes crash totally? The whole Filesystem would be gone.

hm.

So how do you handle big filesystems/storages/shares?

	Regards . Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 82 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Thomas Schadt