[CentOS] Motion Detecting Camera

Mon Feb 3 20:49:53 UTC 2014
Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>    2) My manager says he "wants to be out of the business" of this, and
> wants me to look into
>          "surveillance appliance" packages - that is, a DVR w/ say, four
> cameras. They're all in

Does this mean ZoneMinder is out of the question, since it's not an
"appliance"?  I mean, just for the sake of argument, what happens if
you buy IP cameras and use ZoneMinder?  Isn't that the beauty of an IP
camera, you don't need fancy drivers or have to worry about upgrade
breakage?  (Unless of course your IP stack breaks, but then you
probably have much bigger problems.)  IP cameras allow you to (1)
decouple the camera problem from the DVR problem, and (2) avoid wacky
USB/analog capture driver issues.

I don't know if there's anyone selling OTS ZoneMinder appliances, but
it's conceivably possible.  And if so, it would be like the Untangle
filtering package, where the line between OTS appliance and DIY is
blurred.  (E.g., with Untangle, you can buy a filtering appliance from
them, or you can run their software on your own server.)

I guess I fail to see how the previous poster's suggestion (which is
basically the same as what I initially posted last week) fails to meet
your requirements:

1. Replace cheapo USB cameras with respectable IP cameras.
2. Assign IPs to all cameras.
3. Set up ACLs and/or partition your network to meet security requirements.
4. Designate a single server (physical or VM) to act as your "DVR
appliance".  In this case, it's a Linux server running ZoneMinder.
5. Configure ZoneMinder to do full-time/always on recording, and setup
whatever maintenance and management scripts to need to shuffle
around/delete/archive the video.

Once this is in place, I don't see how the end result is any different
than buying a "surveillance appliance".  Even an OTS package will
require some amount of initial setup.  But *either way*, once the
system is in place and working, it should "just work" and not require
any further hand-holding.

Treat the ZoneMinder box as an appliance - that is, if it's working,
don't touch it.  Don't upgrade ZM or the underlying OS.  Just leave it
alone and let it work.