[CentOS] zoneminder

Thu Feb 6 15:33:14 UTC 2014

One more thing about zoneminder: after installing it on an FC19 system, I
don't see anything that I could immediately identify as a driver. *HOW*
does it get the video? In motion, the very lightweight package, it's using
V4L2, and the drivers, gspca*, are part of the kernel these days. If
ZoneMindar is using the same drivers, then I'd expect that it would
occasionally, after an update, wind up with the same problems motion does.

Btw, I'm now also looking at lower-end video capture cards, like the
Hauppage Impactvdb, model 188 (four bnc inputs). For that, what I haven't
found out yet, is whether it provides the cameras one at a time, to be
switched among, or if all four can stream at the same time, which is what
we *must* have.

One more note: framerate is completely a trivial priority - we normally
run < 5/sec, since we're interested in who's come into a locked room, and
where they went. We can also get a check of whose key card let them in, so
that helps with the identification, as does knowing everyone who might
come in (beyond the fire marshal, or building engineering....)

        mark