[CentOS] Software RAID1 Failure Help

Sat Feb 8 18:17:43 UTC 2014
Markus Falb <wnefal at gmail.com>

On 08.Feb.2014, at 11:25, Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> On 02/07/2014 11:47 PM, Matt wrote:
>> Having a
>> single drive is slowing down reads as well, I think.
>
> This depends upon how the RAID is set up.

No, mdraid 1 is mdraid 1.

> A standard Linux RAID1 setup does not give better reading
> performance when reading large files than a single disk.
>
> I don't know if the RAID system is cleaver enough to
> save some seek time.

Process X is utilizing only one single disk, so no performance gain.
But if you have 2 processes in parallel, then you potentially have a gain, because the process Y can read from another disk.

process X -> disk 0
process Y -> disk 1

> In order to get better read performance you'll have
> to set it up as RAID10 with far copies.

Yes, mdraid 10 could be a solution for the "1 process should utilize more than one disk" goal.
I haven't tried it though, what a shame.

Why is that far copies thing important?
--
Markus