[CentOS] [OT] Video card radiator

Tue Feb 11 02:17:22 UTC 2014
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 02/11/2014 12:34 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
<> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, g wrote:

>> because of stiffness of the heat carriage tubes, may not
>> need to worry.
>
> You are suggesting that the heat pipes might
> support the radiator and keep it off its board?

this is true.

> Now that I look again, that appears to be the case.
> Not only that, the radiator is tilted so that
> only the right front corner is close to the board.

(BWG)

i notice that also.

> That area of the board is empty except for a UPC sticker.

who said we who engineer do not know how to think? ;-)

you would be very surprised at just how much time is spent
in trying to "tear down" a new system design. heat sinking
is an on going challenge.

ic voltage levels where dropped for 2 main reasons, switching
rate time and heat build up.

the main reason for the design of transistors was to decrease
size of a cpu so that it would fit in an aerospace craft. be
it a 'sputnik' or a 'mars rover'. size is not the problem. heat
is and seems like it always will be.

when electrons flow in a confined space, hit will be produced.

i would say that your biggest worry is if you are adding or
removing a card and drop the back plain screw behind the high
side of the head sink and it happens to short a solder or
transition point.

for sure, be careful of dropping anything metallic inside a
computer box. especially if laid with pcb at bottom.

"npi", but always, "cyoa".

--

peace out.

tc.hago.