[CentOS] A puzzle with grub-install

Tue Feb 11 02:44:03 UTC 2014
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 02/11/2014 01:50 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I ran into a problem when using grub-install experimentally
> in what is obviously a foolish way,
> since I was unable to boot the machine afterwards.
> I got round the problem, as I shall explain,
> but I'm still interested to know why the problem arose.
<>

a usb install does not properly set up an install. at least
now in times i have done them and why i install as explained
below.

<>

> But I'm puzzled by my experience, which seems to suggest that
> running grub-install /dev/sdb actually affects the MBR on sda.
> Or have I misunderstood in some way?

if the installer allows the ability to select where the boot loader
will be installed, i have found i am better off installing loader to
the partition where new systems is going.

there are too many 'gotchas' waiting to get you and grub is a
fine example.

grub and maybe grub2 is/are not designed to be able to distinguish
between a cd/dvd install and a usb install. if it/they did, a usb
install would not assign the usb stick as hda/sda. or so has been
my experience with usb installs.

from early times of grub installs, i have continuously installed
boot loader to install partition. after install is completed and
reboots, i boot into previous hda/sda boot partition.

i then rewrite fstab to show new installed partition and setup a
mount directory. ie, /hdd/d/06, mount the newly installed partition,
open grub.conf for new install and copy & paste it to grub.conf of
hda/sda boot partition. reboot and select new install, then finish
second stage of install. if there is one.

a little involved, i agree. i could set old install to chain boot
new install, but i am a little set in my ways. ie, i had problems
first time i tried chain booting. ;-)

ymmv.

--

peace out.